Your Austin home may need a new roof, but this renovation is a big investment. Roofing is generally not a do-it-yourself job because climbing up on the roof to lay down new shingles is dangerous. If you are looking for an Austin roofing solution austinlonghornroofing.com and want to save some money, though, there are a few things you can do:
1) Time installations right. As with everything, you will pay a premium if you wait until the situation gets desperate. If you have water leaking into your home or other serious problems, the fix may be much more expensive and you may make a rash decision when choosing a contractor. In addition to not waiting until the last minute, choose the right season. Most roof installations happen in the summer, so hiring a contractor during slower times of the year – such as winter or early spring – can help save you money.
2) Consider repairs first. Before you invest in a whole new roof, check to see if your current roof is still under warranty. If not, ask a contractor about repairs rather than a completely new roof. You may be able to avoid putting down an entirely new surface. Be sure to determine whether your roof needs just a new roof covering or whether it also needs new sheathing, flashing, drainage system, insulation, or even structural repairs. You don’t want to replace parts of the roof that do not need replacing.
3) Think about short-term and long-term costs. An asphalt roof is very affordable to install, but it will also need to be replaced much sooner than a metal roof (which also comes with a longer-term warranty). Green roofs such as white roofs or roofs with solar panels can cost more upfront, but they can make you eligible for tax credits and can save you money in energy costs over the long term. It can make more sense to invest in a higher-quality roof that will mean savings over the longer term. When considering costs, be sure to factor in maintenance and long-term costs as well as the price of installation.
4) Review financing options. If, like many homeowners, you will need financing for your roof, compare a few options. Speak to your bank about financing costs and see whether your Austin roofing contractor can match or improve on the interest rate.
5) Choose Austin roofing contractors carefully. Labor costs vary widely, as do the costs of supplies. Compare a few quotes to find an estimate that seems fair, but don’t just go for the lowest number. Make sure that any contractor you hire is insured and licensed and has excellent references from past customers. Do your homework and be sure to read the fine print of your estimate and contract – a bargain can end up being very expensive if you find out that the contractor has a very poor warranty or increases the price from their estimate considerably. When you hire a contractor, you should be protected by a strong contract and a roofing professional who has a history of not cutting corners.
Installing a new roof on your home requires due diligence. With the right solution, though, your home’s roof can provide comfort, add to your home’s value, and improve energy efficiency for years to come.